If you’re a brand owner considering registering your brand with Amazon, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about Amazon Brand Registry, including what it is, who can join, and the benefits of signing up. We’ll also provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to get started. Whether you’re just starting out or looking for ways to protect your brand, read on to get all the information you need.
What is the Amazon Trademark Registration Program?
Amazon’s trademark registration program is a way for businesses to protect their intellectual property rights on the Amazon platform. The program provides enhanced branded content features, which help businesses better control and protect their brand image. Participation in this proactive brand protection program is free and companies can apply online.
Why your business should be on the Amazon Brand Registry
Amazon’s trademark registration system helps protect businesses against counterfeit products sold on the site. Amazon Brand Registry features can benefit businesses in several ways, such as:
- Track your products more easily. This feature allows businesses to track their products on the Amazon marketplace from their Brand Registry dashboard and identify sellers who are listing them without permission.
- Control your product information. The registry gives businesses more control over what product information is displayed on their listing. This includes product titles, product descriptions, images and prices.
- Prevent other companies from registering your brand name. The registry will allow businesses to preemptively prevent others from registering their brand name as a trademark. This feature is only available to companies that have registered their brand as a trademark.
- Get help from Amazon to remove infringing ads. Once a business registers its trademark, it can contact Amazon and request that the infringing listings be removed. So if you find out that someone is selling counterfeit products from your business, you can take action and have them removed from the site.
- Benefit from exclusive product features. Brand Registry unlocks access to exclusive product features, such as Enhanced Brand Content (formerly A+ Content). This allows businesses to showcase their products more attractively on their listing.
Amazon Brand Registry Requirements
To join the Amazon Brand Registry and have a brand registered in their system, businesses must meet the following requirements:
Registered trademark active
To enroll in the Amazon Brand Registry, businesses must have an active registered trademark for their brand name with the United States Trademark organization. It may be a word mark, logo or any other type of trademark registered with the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office). In Europe, it would be through the European Union Intellectual Property Office.
Exclusive rights to use the brand name
The business must have exclusive rights to use the brand name on Amazon. This means that the brand name cannot be used by any other business on Amazon.
The mark cannot be generic or descriptive
The trademark name cannot be generic or descriptive. This means that it cannot be a word describing the products or services you are selling. For example, you cannot register the word “shoes” as a brand name for your shoe business.
Proof of use of the mark in trade
The business must use the trademark in trade. This means that the brand name must be used on products, packaging, marketing materials or for other commercial purposes. Amazon will require businesses to provide proof of use when requesting the registry.
Availability of selling on Amazon
Products bearing the trademark name must be available for sale on Amazon. This requirement is necessary so that Amazon can verify that the company is using the brand name in commerce.
How to become a registered brand on Amazon?
There are a few simple steps to creating a Brand Registry account, including completing an Amazon Brand Registry application. Let’s discuss each step.
1. Review eligibility requirements
Before beginning the application process, businesses should first review the eligibility requirements to ensure they meet all of the criteria. As we discussed earlier, companies must have an active registered trademark for their brand name and they must use the brand’s brand name in commerce.
2. Log in to Amazon Brand Registry
Next, businesses will need to log in to the Trademark Registry. To do this, they will need to have an Amazon seller account. If they don’t have an Amazon seller account, they can create one quickly and easily.
3. Register your brand
Once companies have logged in, they can begin the registration process. This process includes providing information about your brand and trademark. Amazon will then review this information to determine if your brand is eligible for registry.
4. Provide additional information (if needed)
If Amazon needs additional information, it will contact the company via email. Companies will then have 10 days to provide the requested information.
Do you need brand registry to sell on Amazon?
Businesses are not required to have a Brand Registry account to sell on Amazon. However, there are many benefits to having a registered trademark with Amazon. For example, businesses with a brand registry can create enhanced branded content for their product listings. This allows companies to showcase their products in a more engaging and informative way.
Additionally, companies with a trademark registry can register their trademarks with Amazon’s IP Accelerator program. This program helps companies protect their intellectual property and ensure that their products are not sold by counterfeiters. Finally, businesses with brand registry can participate in Amazon’s Brand Gating program. This program allows businesses to restrict who can sell their products on Amazon.
How much does Amazon Brand Registry cost?
Creating a Brand Registry account on Amazon is free. However, businesses will need to have a registered trademark for their brand name that is active. The cost of registering a trademark varies depending on the country in which the trademark is registered. In the United States, it can cost between $225 and $2,000.
Image: Envato Elements
More on: Amazon